Thursday, January 22, 2009

Plumbing Problems can cause a girl to need a margarita...

Know what this is? This is my kitchen floor...AFTER we had to pull up our beautiful hardwood floors due to the water leak....read below for more fun filled details....it's been a tough week and a half around here....Happy 2009! Well, I have a lot more to tell you about the title of this entry but let's just say that if any of you get any bright ideas to pour something called "Liquid Lightning" down your drain....DON'T! It could wind up costing you your hard wood floors, 3 hours worth of plumbers bills, holes in your wall, a Sawz All cutting through your vintage maple cabinets,new countertops and so, so much more! I'm going to post a few pictures here but stay tuned as I have to totally renovate my kitchen, thanks to a $8.88 bottle of crap from Walmart! Seriously, don't even think of putting this stuff down your drain!
This is our kitchen after we pulled up the hardwood floors, removed the moisture barrier fabric, mopped, called the plumber, emptied all the cabinets...THis is my dear sweet hubby after he'd already put in a long day of work painting helping us pull up some old asbestos tiles from the 50s that were under the wood, under the linoleum under our cabinet. He was spraying a bleach mixture to kill any mold that had tried to grow as the water sat under the cabinet for a few days. Note to all other hubbies: If you notice a water leak at your concrete foundation, don't wait to tell your wife since "you knew she'd be mad" as it won't go away, it will only get worse! God love him!

THis is the water stain at the base of one of our blonde cabinets; thank goodness it looks worse in this picture than it was. Trust me though; it was plenty bad enough!

I'm going to post more on this so stay tuned as we try and move forward. We've decided to go ahead and make other changes that we've wanted to do since we already have the whole thing torn apart; new floors, new 1950s boomerang Formica countertops, a new cast iron sink (that I got and awesome deal on at Home Depot for only $50.00 as it was the display and they were switching out their models that day...thank goodness I found a deal in the middle of this nightmare...), , a new retro faucet and maybe more. Whew, I hope I win the lottery!

No comments: