Sunday, March 15, 2009

Kitchen Renovation Continues - Part 7 - Boomerang Countertops!

Well, it's finally here; Turqoise Boomerang countertop installation day! It's almost like a newly celebrated holiday at our house! Seriously, can I tell you how ready I was to make the next step in this ongoing project!
First, let me say, that our contractor (call me and I'll be glad to give you his information...) was AWESOME! First of all, he's kind, professional, returns all your phone calls, doesn't try to push things on you that you either can't afford or don't want to do and works long, long hours ...stay tuned to the photos below and you'll see exactly what I mean! So, let's get started...it all happened on Thursday, March 12th.
The guys got here around 9:30 and came in to double check all their measurements and take one last look at the old butcherblocks before they
took them outta here... Okay, they got their measurements confirmed and then they pulled
out the old countertops;
Oops, what's that I see in the lower right hand corner of this shot, could that be turquoise boomerang backsplash that I see laying over there... This is our contractor, E. H. and his helper, L., set up in our driveway with the workbenches, saws, etc...and oh yeah, that's the back of my countertop you see propped up there. We were lucky, it was gorgeous weather for our work day.
The guys have brought the pieces in and started making the fine tune measurements and get them all lined up and double checked before taking them back outside to start adding the polished aluminum trim that I purchased from Outwater Plastics. They were great too, they helped me so much on the phone with all my questions, measurements, etc...as you see, I did all the research to find the products and get them ordered and stuff so I learned more than I ever wanted to know regarding polished aluminum trim and inside vs outside measurements...should I go on? Oops? You caught my island topless! See our custom 10" backsplash?! I'm SO glad my contractor suggested these to make our kitchen more custom and he was so right and there was only $100.00 difference in the price; so why wouldn't I? He then told us he'd do custom trimming around the outlets with the trim and you'll see below how this really stands out as a custom detail that we love. Thanks for the suggestion E.H.!

Oooooohhhhh, aren't they pretty? Here's where they brought them in to make sure that everything "measured up"; and the place you see on the right side of the sink is the cabinet where we took out the dishwasher (that I never used and only stored dishes in anyway) and he was rebuilding for us. See the custom hole he cut in it to have a subfloor piece in case we ever need to reach those pipes again under there.

Here they are making some minor adjustment cuts...check out the length of their hair, easy going cabinet guys you just gotta love it!

L. makes cuts to the aluminum trim on the table they have set up outside on our carport. Yep, that's right, we have a carport as our house was built in 1959. Our utility room is also located on our carport too!Doesn't it look good? See how they had to make all the special miter cuts for the corners and joints. Yep, you guessed it, I had to find all the right trim pieces online and then get all the screws to screw them on...I told you I learned alot in this project.
Ooohhh, Ahhhhh, I absolutely LOVE the look of it! Formica's turquoise boomerang and then the trim is from Outwater Plastics. I can provide any of you with the the information if you want it. Above, you'll see how he had 3 different sizes and shapes of trim, that he had to cut and then match up. The above shot shows the countertop, the face plate edge trim, and the cove piece.

See how late it's getting....he's still hard at work... See, they hadn't "quite finished up" by 6:00 or so, so E., pledged to commit and stay working as L. had to leave I think. We all already had such busy schedules for Friday that we all decided he could stay until 9:30 or so and then he'd be able to pretty much finish except for a few minor things. Friday the 13th actually turned out pretty good for us as our countertops were completed and so was our new slink installed, so not that bad a day, huh? and I even got to see some The hubby helped him fix up some extra lights and he kept the saw a spinning until 9:30 p.m. and then he just worked fast and furious to get it finished primarily before he left as I had only asked for one day off from work and B. did have to work.
Are these awesome or what? See how sharp and detailed his miter corners are? He did a great job and then polished them smooth...Love, love, LOVE THEM!C Check out all those custom cuts and details in the top of the backsplash and at the cove joint...See how gorgeous they're looking? We Love Them! E & L; best of luck to you in all your future projects!

E.H. our contractor had just made his last cut and walked in the house to install it when I took this shot...you know the neighbors were glad we were ready to turn off that saw for the night. I just appreciated the fact that he was so willing to stay and finish it up for us, great guy, great job!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greetings Milster and readers!
I was on my way to get some Sildenafil Citrate when I gladly encountered this awesome piece of column, which catched my eye at first sight.
I will keep coming back to see if something else happens to come up.
Regards