Sunday, July 19, 2009

They practically gave this stuff to me!

Okay, this may be a little hard to believe but last Saturday, July 11th, was one of those days that make me understand my addiction to garage and estate sales; (not that I really needed an "understanding" but on days like that I know absolutely why I hardly ever sleep in on Saturday morning and why I don't go to the mall unless I'm buying a gift for someone...and I should be completely honest and tell you that sometimes I find brand new items that you may be the beneficiary of if you are a friend or relative of mine...but you'll never know it unless I goof up and put it on my blog...it could happen!).
I went to a number of garage sales and ran into a couple of good friends who led me to some sales I didn't even know about including an estate sale that wound up being pretty good actually (especially when I went back and everything was half off...more about that when I show you what I bought in another entry.
Okay, I had to show you this one item first as I thought it was just about the cutest little 1950s travel coffee set that I've ever seen (actually, I've never ever seen another one just like it) and I got it at my T & T estate sale that I went to late in the day. How cute is it?! And, I got there at like 11:30 so they were going half off, got it for....drumroll...can you vintage people stand this....$1.00! I know, I know, now you see why I had to have it! It's in mint condition except for the fact that the lining on the cute little plad bag is wanting to dry rot, but that doesn't bother me; I can't wait to take it on the road!
At the same sale, I got this awesome vintage Thanksgiving tablecloth for only $2.50. It's in great shape and I those other two items were bought at the awesome Wildwood sale and they were about $0.05 each, yep, you read that right, when I got to that huge sale it was stuff a bag for $0.50 each for all clothing, accessories and shoes or holiday items, including some of the toys. Yeah, it was a big brown grocery bag and they were letting us stuff them to the max! It was incredible and I can't wait to go back next year.
The pyrex bowls were at Wildwood and were 2 for $1.00, the beautiful 24K gold trim pitcher was only $0.50 (it's gorgeous and is really big and will be awesome for lemonade or ice water or even some sangrias...); the old wood blocks in the foreground were marked $0.50 but they were half off and were actually only about $0.10 since they were in one of my big brow bags; and the two cute linen handtowels were $0.50 each at another sale in my neighborhood.
Okay, look at all these awesome hand embroidered linens that I got at Wildwood and when I picked them up to look the nice lady kept saying, "You want those? How much you want to pay?"l asked the price and she said "Now (at 10:30 ish) they are a dime, is that too much?" I guess you can tell how happy I was as I bought almost all of them...they are soaking in Retroclean now...most of them didn't need it so I soaked a few). The Better Homes & Garden decorating book from the 50s was $0.10! I shopped so long the prices were falling faster than any Walmart ever wished for! Okay, this needlepoint may not be for most of you but I loved it and it looks awesome in my chartreuse green foyer and check out that price, you got it, only $1.00! The cute juice decanter in the foreground was only $1.00 and I was glad to find it as a few local dealers were leaving as I got there so I was surprised to find it. THe nice black leather purse on the left was $5.00 but it's easily a $90.00 purse. I got it where I got the linen handtowels.
The candles were $0.10 each and so were all three books, can you stand it?! I think I spent a total of maybe $15.00 at the Wildwood Church and had about 4 grocery sized bags full of stuff.
The picture on the back right, with the flowers in the black vase was only $1.00 too and check out the red lunchbox that is from the 50s on the left side of the picture. It was in a bag with 2 old thermoses but I didn't really want them and the bag was all torn up, so the lady let me have it for a whole $0.15! I'm telling you, see what I mean about how much fun I had and how they practically gave it to me. The cute Easter dish below was in the bag of holiday stuff I got for $0.50, I mean the WHOLE BAG was only $0.50!
The stuff below was also in the holiday bag of stuff. I love the plastic chip Santa face as it reminds me of my holiday decorations from growing up. I'll add this to my Snowman, reindeer and other Santa this year.
I love the annual Wildwood sale and I'll show you my other estate sale treasures, including my $2.00 Stainless Steel Microwave....stay tuned for that story!

No comments: