Monday, October 20, 2008

My Semi-Annual Yard Sale Purge - October 18, 2008


Well, if you "love 2 buy stuff but house about to bust", then you'll know why I, too, have to have garage sales myself every now and then. So, since the weather has gotten a little cooler here, finally, I decided to do my Fall yard sale this past Saturday, the 18th of October. It is a ton of work and luckily, my sweet hubby, always works hard to help me set up for it, but it's still exhausting.

It's especially trying when you get up at 5:45 a.m. on Saturday, to discover that it's raining! Luckily, it quit by about 7:30 which is when I was supposed to officially start and since I always put NO EARLY BIRDS in my ad, but the dealers usually swoop in at least a half hour before that! And, when that didn't happen this Saturday I kind of had a gut fealing that it was going to be a "slow" sale; and boy, was I right! I didn't have near the amount of customers that I usually do and as you'll see from my pictures, there were times when there was no one here but me and my Danielle Steele book! Luckily, the neighborhood kids all stop by to hang out with me and even serenade me with guitar, (yep, it really happened and he's actually pretty darn good and only about 12 or 13 years old) so I wasn't too lonely for very long.

I did "okay" but not near as good as I usually do and I guess it's because people were doing other things here as there were a number of festivals and stuff in town so people were out and about for that and maybe the rain scared some people off.

Here's what all my nice tables looked like pretty early in the morning (after daylight that is...)

Here's what it looked like on a number of occasions during the morning...(unfortunately....)

Notice what's missing from this picture...my customers! Don't get me wrong, I had some great customers (and thanks to all of you who saw my ad on Craigslist and in the paper or you are friends of my friends...) but I wish I had more!


This meant that I had a lot of packing up to do of all my treasures that I was ready to part with and had to sort it out into different groups;
1) Stuff to donate

2) Stuff to take to the consignment shop

and
3) Stuff to take back into the house (and it wasn't much, believe me...because by the time I get ready to pay for an ad and have a sale, I'm pretty much ready to let go of it...or give it to a friend, right "C"...)
and this last picture is a shot of where I took my donations. This is a thrift store that raises money and donations for battered women and I like to give to them or another local charity that is for troubled tean girls (but they were closed on Saturday by the time I got it all sorted and boxed back up).
So, as you can guess, I needed a long nap after this and I was in the bed by 9:30 on Saturday night!





No comments: